Agreed. CUT is truly one of the best steakhouses in the world (and I've been to many famous steakhouses around the world).
It seems as though Keg fans cannot afford CUT's higher prices.
Also, I forgot to mention that I was very disappointed that they had fountain Pepsi rather than Coke. Coke is a southern staple; we never drink Pepsi.
Really 2.5 stars... Let me start by saying that I was born and raised in Texas (20+ years there) so when I drove by Q, I was obviously very excited.
First, the positives:
- potato salad was very good (and authentic)
- mac and cheese was tasty with a slight kick (also authentic)
- the Lynchburg lemonade was great, but very very sweet (again, very authentic)
- the cole slaw was typical southern style
- the New Orleans beignets were very tasty, like fried brownies, but no where near authentic (I have no idea how they are even considered beignets)
Now, the negatives, which unfortunately outweigh the positives:
- the brisket was greasy, thinly shaved, and tasteless (one of the worst I've had, even Montana's is better)
- the corn on the cob was also extremely greasy (couldn't even taste the corn)
- the cornbread was dry and not very flavorful
- the chicken was pretty good flavor-wise, but dry (though I like it dry)
- the "Texas" sauce was nothing like a true Texas barbecue sauce, which is usually thick, tangy, and with a little kick (however the Memphis sauce was good, just a bit runny)
Overall, I was not very impressed. I realize they may have a few bugs to work out as they just opened a week ago, but at least some of the above need to be addressed before I will return.
Gave Q another chance today for lunch. I had trouble finding parking so I decided to go with take-out. I ordered 2 chicken breasts with two sides. The chicken was a lot more moist and a lot of the smoked taste came through. After I specifically asked for two sides of sauces, they assured me that they included both. I got home and sure enough, they forgot one of the sauces. The sauce was thicker than before, which is also an improvement.
Now onto the negatives. The potato salad was absolutely horrible. It was even orange in color (in my earlier review, I loved the potato salad). As my second side, I got the mac & cheese. I found it to be quite dry and heavily loaded with black pepper (in my earlier review, I loved the mac & cheese). And sadly, the cornbread was the same.
To sum it all up, they are trying to work out some kinks I guess. It seems like the food is a little different every day. Which day is best, I'm not sure. I just hope if you try out Q, you go on a good day.
All Reviews »
The couple's guide to everything.
The Coast's Well Being Guide
Designers, stores and fashion, all locally-sourced.
Interior design and home accessories in Halifax.
300+ Ways to Live Sustainably
Search 100s of Halifax restaurants, bars and cafes
The best of everything Halifax has to offer.
The official handbook to student life in Halifax.
Halifax's best independent stores and boutiques
All the beer, all over town
2013 Reader Survey results
Halifax's sex secrets revealed
Coast Publishing Ltd.