The federal government’s latest announcement hopes to catch many of those who fell through the cracks of regular employment insurance. The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) was written into law on Wednesday as part of the Covid Aid Package Bill C-13, giving Canadians about $2,000 a month for up to four months as early as April 10.
You qualify if:
- You lost your job because of COVID-19
- You are sick with COVID-19, quarantined because of COVID-19 or are caring for someone sick with COVID-19
- You’re a parent whose kids aren’t at school or daycare, and therefore you’re stuck at home caring for them
- You’re a contract worker who can’t get an ROE (record of employment)
- You’re self-employed (musicians, massage therapists, writers, crafters, business owners)