Pin It
Favourite

Denial of service attack interrupts provincial website and email 

Ten-minute loss of service comes as Anonymous becomes involved in Rehtaeh Parsons story.

A denial of service attack took down the provincial website for about 10 minutes this morning, confirms Brian Taylor, a spokesperson for the Chief Information Office, which oversees all IT operations for the province. Starting at about 9:50am, all provincial websites were inaccessible, and the provincial email system was down as well.

click to enlarge Is Anonymous attacking the province's computers?
  • Is Anonymous attacking the province's computers?
A denial of service attack typically involves sending millions of electronic requests to an organization's websites and servers, and thereby squeezing out legitimate internet activity, bringing the system to a standstill.

Taylor says that besides today's DoS attack there have been a series of "online intrusions"—attempts to access password protected parts of the province's websites—over the past two days. "Staff was alerted and put measures into effect to protect the site," says Taylor, noting that "there have been temporary delays" related to responding to the intrusions.

Taylor declined to say which portions of the site were attempted to being accessed.

The province's internet provider is Eastlink, which has been working to increase protection for the site.

Neither Eastlink nor the Chief Information Office can identify the source of the attacks, but the attacks began Tuesday, just as the Rehtaeh Parsons story was becoming international news.

The online activist group Anonymous, which has been actively monitoring the Parsons story, was also involved in the Steubenville, Ohio rape case. In that case, Anonymous was able to find videos and other material archived on private web sites. And previously, Anonymous has been credited with successful DoS attacks on such organizations as Visa, PayPal and MIT.

Support The Coast

At a time when the city needs local coverage more than ever, we’re asking for your help to support independent journalism. We are committed as always to providing free access to readers, particularly as we confront the impact of COVID-19 in Halifax and beyond.

Read more about the work we do here, or consider making a donation. Thank you for your support!

Pin It
Favourite

Comments

Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

More by Tim Bousquet

Get more Halifax

Our Thursday email gets you caught up with The Coast. Sign up and go deep on Halifax.

Survey Asks

Should there be a public inquiry about what happened at Northwood?

  • Yes
  • No
  • The review was enough

View Results

Coast Top Ten

Real Time Web Analytics

© 2021 Coast Publishing Ltd.