• The floor of the Metro Centre is a weird place to have a party. It’s like the world’s biggest high school dance. The urbanity of the street event was missed according to my informal poll of attendees, though I do agree with my colleague Hillary, it was nice without the velvet rope partitions this year. (I did not, however, smell the hockey.) And the bands, starting with the capable Novaks from Newfoundland, were really loud, so there was much shouting going on in order for the schmooze to be heard.
• The red carpet was a confusing gauntlet of people holding signs and giving directions.
• The ladies from Trailer Park Boys
are more fun than the guys. Sarah Dunsworth looked stunning in a sexy sailor outfit with elements sourced from Pretty Things Boutique. And the forever ravishing Lucy Decoutere continued to, well, ravish
, in this humble blogger's opinion.
• Megan Leslie is a vegetarian, but considered eating the burger in the “Ricky’s Lunch” brown paper bag all the VIPs received. People seem to really love Leslie, and what’s not to love? She’s charming and smart. She also admitted she got star- struck when she met Jonathan Torrens, from having been a fan on Jon-O-Vision.
• Leonard Preyra was a fan of the roast chicken flavoured chips also found in the Ricky’s lunch bag.
director Jason Eisener is psyched to see Suck, Daybreakers
and The Best Worst Movie
at this years AFF. He’s still not done editing Streets of Domination
, his gang picture, because he’s been too busy prepping the feature length Hobo With A Shotgun
. He’s hoping to go to camera with it in the spring of 2010.
• Filmmaker Marc Almon (The Wake of Calum MacLeod
) is back in town after a year in Toronto at the Canadian Film Centre.
• Eastlink TV hosts will stand very close to you when they interview you.
• Yellow Tail has a new product called Bubbles Rosé. I shit you not.
• People are on the lookout for Ethan Hawke. Coast film reviewer Mark Palermo spotted him in customs at the airport a couple of days ago, and since Hawke’s working here on a new Moby Dick
miniseries and has a picture in the fest (Daybreakers
) maybe he’ll show up. Stranger things have happened.