Your favourite, Jenocide, has been in LA for while, teaching and preaching about how to kick it Halifax-style. We talked about it and now all I want is chicken and waffles and sunshine. Yes, she is coming back, so you can breathe easy.
Q: What is going on over there? Why are you there?
A: I had arranged last fall to come cat sit for the month of February for a friend in Hollywood who I met through [my friend] Gerry Hubley. His name is Harry and he went on tour to europe with his band Black Fag (a gay Black Flag cover band) for February so I took care of his two cats Ahi and Dozer sharkcat. I hit it off so well with Harry and his roommates I decided to stay an extra month and hit SXSW for a week in March too.
Basically, I've been doing things my own way for the past year. I wanted to play shows in UK last winter, so I went and did it. I wanted to hang out and check out the scene in LA, so I found a way to come here. Because of the kind of music I'm doing, it makes a lot more sense to be here than at the ECMAs or something.
Q: You are playing a bunch of tunes there, right?
A: The weekend I arrived and I played a house party and was introduced to a very awesome punk scene here which has been very receptive to my music. So I've been playing parties and played a bar show last weekend, and I'm still booking more shows.
Q: Is EVERYONE there?
Q: It was a coincidence that my good pal Rich Aucoin was here doing shows in February so we got to hang and go to Universal Studios and rode the Mummy roller coaster 3 times. My Windom Earle bandmate Matt Pollard was in LA for a week because he accompanied a friend who works in tv who had to drive down on business and we checked out tons of comedy. Steph Clattenburg was in town so we got to have an amazing day that included getting locked in the L. Ron Hubbard Life Museum. So it's a funny bunch of coincidences that I've got to hang out with some of my best friends here.
Q: What are the 10 best/worst things about LA?
A: Best things about LA:
1. Venice Beach—beautiful beach! Great snacks! Weird people doing weird things!
2. Sunshine almost every day.
3. Avocados are considerably cheaper (lots of guar!).
4. Fish tacos & taco trucks & chicken and waffles.
5. Awesome cheap comedy, I've got to see Weird Al, Tim and Eric, Jeff Garlin and podcast tapings (like Doug Loves Movies)
7. I find people here to be open, friendly and chill, lots of new friends!
8. So many parts of the city to check out, I'm currently so into Little Tokyo.
9. Griffith Observatory—huge telescopes free to the public and an awesome view.
10. Super fun #dreamscometru!
Worst things about LA
1. Drivers are crazy! I've already been in one accident.
2. Not a lot of people riding bicycles on the road because of #1.
3. LA is super huge and traffic can be insane.
4. Hollywood Boulevard on a Saturday night is like Pizza Corner intense x 100. Brutal
5. Vintage is hella expensive but beautiful to look at.
6. Bloods and Crips (I wore red shoes in Crips territory twice, oops)
7. Public Transit can be intense at times.
8. Can be expensive.
Q: Are you ever coming back?
A: I will be returning to Canada to finish my new album and do some touring later this spring but I've already began making plans to return to LA before the year is out.
Watch Jenocide's amazing summer babe video here.
posted by STEPHANIE JOHNS, JONATHAN BRIGGINS, MORGAN MULLIN, LAURA KENINS AND TARA THORNE, Oct 20/16
Read our entire feature here. comments 0
posted by MICHELLE CAMERON, Oct 20/16
Amelia Merhar mixes eroticism with academia on her Academically Stacked tour. comments 0
posted by TARA THORNE, Oct 20/16
Georgas returns to Halifax to perform from her latest, For Evelyn. comments 0
posted by JONATHAN BRIGGINS, Oct 20/16
Caesar locks down the Toronto sound with a multi-genre smoothness. comments 0
posted by JONATHAN BRIGGINS, Oct 20/16
The Toronto producer provides just the right amount of positive vibes. comments 0
posted by LAURA KENINS, Oct 20/16
Cosmic country connects the good times with the bad. comments 0